1 HISTORY OF SANDBACH Compiled by Stewart Green From 2013 to date. (Including information from publications by the Sandbach History Society) Update 14 July 2016 #01. Statistics. #02. History in Date Order. #03. Listed Buildings in Sandbach. #04. Building and Business History (Including Transport Festival History). Listed under Names and Alphabet #HA. to #HZ. #05. Sandbach Town Council Including list of Mayor s. #05b. Cheshire East Mayors (County Mayor) #05c. Town MP (Member of Parliament) #05d. Sandbach Town Council 2015 #06. Fodens History. #07. E.R.F. History. #08. Jennings Coachbuilders. #09. Shops in Sandbach (see also separate file) #10. Local Celebrities (Past and Present) #10a. Celebrities who have visited Sandbach #11. Thomas Hughes (Writer Tom Brown s Schooldays) #12. Town Cryer #13. Pubs and Restaurants (Eating Places) #14. Market Charter #15. Sandbach Wakes / Wakes Fair #16. Christmas Best Shop Window (Sandbach Town Council Award) #17. Citizen of the Year (Rotary Club Award) #18. Societies - Dated Lists. #18b. SOCIETIES Chairperson. #19. Awards by HM The Queen New Years and Birthday Honours. #20. War Memorial Names Sandbach, Wheelock, Elworth etc. #20a Brereton Church of St Oswald #20b Market Square War Memorial #20c Elworth War Memorial #20d Sandbach Cemetery Brunner Mond #20e Sandbach Heath (St John s) #20f Sandbach Methodist Church / Wesley Avenue #20g Sandbach School #20h Smallwood Church of St John the Baptist. #20i Warmingham (St Leonard Church) #20j Wheelock and Hassell #20k Wheelock Heath Baptice Church #20L The Fallen not on a Memorial #20m St Mary s Roll of Honour #20n St Winefrede s Church #20o Foden Works casualties / #21. Postcard Manufacturers Local Scenes / Views. #22. Venrable Bede s account of his time in the Midlands.
2 #01. STATISTICS. POPULATION 1664 Population of 664 (Estinated by the Hearth Tax) 1801 Population of 1, Population of 4, 's 713 Houses and a population of 3, Population of 5, URBAN DISTRICT WARDS East 2,707; North 1,975; West 1,041 SANDBACH ECCLESIASTICAL PARISH 4,171 and Sandbach Heath 1,258 Parish Clerk William Nock Sexton Arthur Allcock (1914 Kelly s Directory) 1951 Population of 9,253 (National Census) 1961 Population of 9,862 (National Census) (Men 4,811 / Female 5,051 / with a density of 2.7 people per acre of land) 1966 Population 10,350 (Town Guide) 1970 s 15,000 residents 1984 Population 14,724 (5,331 Houses) (Men 7,200 / Female 7,385 / Married Male 4,011 to 4,4023 / Pensioners 2,382 / CAR OWNERS Families with 0 car = 1,383 / 1 Car = 2,838 / 2 Cars or More = 980 / 3 Cars or more = 128) 1991 Population 15,839 (National Census) 2001 Population 17, Population 18,023 (Supplied by GeoNames Database) (Ages 0 to 15 = 17.6% / = 62.7% / 65+ = 19.6%) ( People) ( People) ( People) ( People per 1% Approx) Approx 7,416 Houses in Sandbach. (based on 2 Adults per house) (8,000 Houses Quoted in 2013) LOCAL GOVERNMENT DISTRICTS Sandbach Urban Sanitary District Sandbach Urban District Council Congleton Borough Council 2009 to Date Cheshire East (County Council) + Sandbach Town Council (Town Council) REGISTRATION DISTRICTS (Birth Death and Marriage + Census) Congleton Crewe Crewe or Congleton (and /or) South Cheshire Cheshire East Cheshire (East and West) 2009 to date Cheshire East ########################################################## COUNCIL TAX PAYMENTS (% Rate to nearest 3 Decimal Places) PAYMENTS Band F Comparison Years SANDBACH BAND F 1, = Cheshire East Sandbach Town Council
3 99.80 = Cheshire Fire Brigade = Police / Crime Commission TOTAL SANDBACH - BAND F 1, = Cheshire East (No Change) Sandbach Town Council (Up 7.27) 8.2% = Cheshire Fire Brigade (Up 1.98) = Police / Crime Commission (Up 4.37) TOTAL (TOTAL Up 10.62) % Rise Police / Crime Commission BAND A = BAND B = BAND C = BAND D = BAND E = BAND F = BAND G = BAND H = Snapshot of Payments BAND B ( 1, Local Council Tax). % SANDBACH CONGLETON % = = Cheshire East = Cheshire East % = Sandbach Town Council = Congleton Town Council 4.656% = Cheshire Fire Brigade = Cheshire Fire Brigade % = = Police / Crime Commission = Police / Crime Commission 100% TOTAL TOTAL BANDING FOR COUNCIL TAX (The following columns are for Cheshire East without a Town Council tax included, Sandbach with Cheshire East and Sandbach Town Council Tax added and Congleton with Cheshire East and Congleton Town Council Tax added) CHESHIRE EAST SANDBACH TOWN Congleton BAND A ( 40,000 or Less) = BAND B ( 40,001 to 52,000) = 1, BAND C ( 52,001 to 68,000) = 1, BAND D ( 68,001 to 88,000) = 1, BAND E ( 88,001 to 120,000) = 1, BAND F ( 120,001 to 160,000) = 2, BAND G ( 160,001 to 320,000) = 2, BAND H ( 320,001 and Over) = 2, ################################################## BAND D SANDBACH CONGLETON Cheshire East Council 1, , Cheshire East Borough (Adult care) None Cheshire Fire Police / Crime Commission (If unchanged) Sandbach Town Council ACTUAL PRICE TOTAL 1, per annum 1, CHESHIRE EAST SANDBACH TOWN Congleton BAND A ( 40,000 or Less) = 1, , BAND B ( 40,001 to 52,000) = 1, , BAND C ( 52,001 to 68,000) = 1, , BAND D ( 68,001 to 88,000) = 1, , ,576.25
4 BAND E ( 88,001 to 120,000) = 1, , BAND F ( 120,001 to 160,000) = 2, , BAND G ( 160,001 to 320,000) = 2, , BAND H ( 320,001 and Over) = 3, , #02. SANDBACH HISTORY IN DATE ORDER. The name Sandbach means 'The Sandy Valley of a Stream' in "Olde English". Unkn c 43 to 82 A.D. c 653 A.D. Over the years the Welsh and the Danish had invaded this quiet town in Cheshire. A Roman Road from Middlewich to Chesterton passed through Sandbach. Between 2005 and 2009 Alex York and a team of volunteers excavated the Roman Road through Elworth and onto Malkin s Bank on the Middlewich to Chesterton link and has found links to Reeseheath, Whitchurch and Wrenbury. He has also discovered the remains of a road near the M6 at Hassall. The Saxon Crosses were made to celebrate the marriage of Peada, Son of Penda, King of Mercia to his bride Alchfleda, the daughter of Osway the Christian King of Northumbria. (First quoted in Earwaker s History of Sandbach 1890 and is the story most children in the area grew up with.) 9 th Century A Minster is recorded in the Town but seems to have disappeared during the late 9 th Cenury. Like a number of other ecclesiastical foundations, Sandbach may have become a victim of Viking raids but as Sandbach is far in land this may not be the case as most Viking raids were on the East Coast by the sea AD In the Doomsday Book the town was called SANBECD (or Sanbec). This was the earliest evidence of a town in this part of Cheshire. It records two entries. (I have added Numbers after ii's to make it easier to understand) 1. "The same bigot holds Sandbecd. Dunning held it and was free. There is i (1.) hide reteable to the gelt and a virgate and a half so rateable. The land is ii (2) carucates. There is a foreigner with half a carucate and iii (3) serfs and there are two villeins with half a carucate. There is a priest and a church. A wood half a league long and xi (11.) perches broad. In King Edward's time it was worth iv (4) shillings; now viii (8) shillings". 2. "The Earl himself holds Sandbec for two virgates and a half reteable to the gelt and Clive for i (1.) virgate so rateable and Sutton for iv (4) virgates so rateable and Wibaldelai for i (1.) virgate sorateable and Wever for i (1.) virgate so rateable and Aculvestune for i (1.) hide so rateable. Six free men hold these lands for vi (6) manors. The land is vii (7) carucates among them. The whole was and is waste". About 1200 The first church was built in Sandbach The town was recorded as being called SONDBACHE from the Anglo Saxon sand baece meaning sand stream or sand valley. 13th Century The land around Sandbach was held by Richard De Sandbache, who in 1230 was High Sheriff of Cheshire. He unsuccessfully laid claim to the advowson of Sandbach Church against Earl Randle de Blundeville. Richard s son John De Sandbache also claimed the right to the land winning the day temporarily against the Abbey of Diemlacres, only to lose it soon after when the dispute was carried to the King s Bench and the case was won by the Abbot on the evidence of the Doomsday Book which proved that the Earl Randle Meschimes (Earl of Chester) had originally given the advowson to the Monks of Diemlacres. An estate in Sandbach is called Abbey fields after the Abbey of Diemlacres.
5 When Richard de Sandbach died, this was the end of the family line as he didn't have any male heir's. His only heir was a daughter called Elizabeth who became the wife of John de Legh (the son of John de Legh, of Booths.) John de Legh and Elizabeth only had one child. The child was again a daughter called Matilda de Legh who eventually married Richard de Radcliffe of Ordsall. The line of the manor again passed down through the distaff (female line) of this new family the de Radcliffe's in about 1361 (See 1611). Richard also inherited his father's estate. The estate was finally purchased by Sir Randulph (or Randle) Crewe. Mid 13 th Century The area responsible by Sandbach Minster Church could have extended towards Middlewich and Davenhan (Near Northwich). By the mid 13 th Cenury it was reduced to an area around the Church with two chapelries at Holmes Chapel and Goostry The Lower Chequer Inn was built It is mentioned in a publication that the excellent quality of Sandbach Malt Liquor and Worsted yarns were made in quantity A charter granted by Queen Elizabeth 1st to the town a market in 1578 on application by Sir John Radcliffe, of Ordsell, in Lancashire On the 4th May 1579 Sir John Radcliffe of Ordsall (In Lancashire) applied to hold Fairs and Markets in Sandbach from Queen Elizabeth 1st. The market would be held on Thursday with two fairs each year being held. One of these two dates still takes place during the September 'Wakes'. Sir John Radcliffe also applied for the right to establish a Court-Leet and a Court of Pied-Powder Gentlemen fined for playing bowls on Scotch Common. 1600's The George Hotel was built as the George and Dragon. It is possible that the building was replaced in 1810 with the current structure In 1611 Sir John Radcliffe became the last member of his family to hold the Manor of Sandbach as he mortgaged it for the sum of 2,200 before eventually selling the majority off it off. The family had held the manor for the last 250 years. In a deed dated the 7th November 1611 the Radcliffe family sold the Manor's land to Richard Steele, Hugh Moss, John Wright, William Shaw and other Sandbach yeomen and land owners. The Manorial rights and the remaining lands were sold to Sir Randolph (or Randle) Crewe The Black Bear public house was built Black and white building built on Front Street. 3 Sept 1651 On the 3rd September 1651 whilst the September Fair was in full swing, a skirmish took place at (What is now called) Scotch Common when a party of about 1,000 of the King's Cavalry, made up of a bunch of Scotsmen, came to Sandbach after their defeat at the Battle of Worcester earlier in the day (on the 3 Sept 1651) a skirmish that turned out to be Cromwell's final victory. King Charles 2nd had been in France since the Battle of Naseby where he gained support from the Covenanting Party in Scotland. In 1650 Charles returned and was then crowned King of England in Scone, Scotland. Despite Cromwell's victory at Dunbar, Charles decided to invade England resulting in the Battle of Worcester. The pretender King had been in the town since the 22 August 1651 and on the 3 September Cromwell's army and the Kings army of Scotts met at Worcester. After the battle the Kings army scattered with some of the Scotts, who had seen action under David Leslie, attempting to pass through Sandbach on their way home. Sandbach at the time was loyal to the Parliamentarians and seeing the poor state of the Kings army, the town's folk set upon the army with poles from the Market stalls and killed many of them. Those captured were stored in the Churchyard. The Rev. Henry Newcome in his diary wrote on the 7th September 1651 that he had to preach in the Churchyard on that Sunday due to the prisoners being in the church waiting for Cromwell's Militia to come. A story I was told when I was young is that the bodies of the dead were laid to rest in a plot of land near Sandbach Heath, later called 'Pipers Hollow', the exact spot that the M6 Motorway passes through the town and where the Saxon Cross Motel used to stand.
6 On the occasion of the burial a lone piper, who it was thought to be dead, recovered enough to play a lament while the bodies of his comrades were being buried. On completion of this task he was also killed and buried along with his kinsfolk. It is said that the Ghost of the Piper can be heard along that stretch of the motorway. The area of land where the piper is buried along with his comrades has become known as Piper s Hollow and the meadow next to it is called Scotch Meadow. An account of the incident on Scotch Common was recorded in one of the earliest newspapers The Mercurius Politicus number 66 which refers to the incident as follows: They so managed the business that, when the Scots offered to fire, they ran into their homes and soon as that party was past which had the pistols and powder, they fell upon the remainder of the troops and continued pealing and billing them during the passage of all their horse Charity set up by local people that would eventually lead to the "Almshouses (See Almshouses) St Mary's Church was built (See above for more details) 28 Sept 1677 SANDBACH SCHOOL ESTABLISHED. (see 1851) We know that Sandbach School was Founded on the 28 th September 1677 by Richard Lea and Francis Welles it is surrounded in 18 acres of land on the Crewe Road. It was what they called an Endiwed School for children between the ages of eight and eighteen Two public houses were built in this year. "The Crown" and "The Market Tavern". 17 th Century During the 17 th Century Sandbach was noted for the quality of its Ales, which were popular in London. Production of a Sandbach Ale seems to have ceased by the late 19 th Cenury The building that now houses the Leonard Cheshire home on "The Hill" was built Marriott House built. It was originally called "The Commons House". (see 1897) 1760 and 1860 Between these two dates shops in the High Street (Chatwins etc.) were built Police station built on the Market Square (Now Williams Delicatessen). The Police entered from the rear of the building (Now the St Mary s Hall Side) and had the top floor of the building (Now a Hairdressers) as their rooms with the station in the basement. It is possible that the cells were situated there or were accessed via a tunnel to the Original Town Hall which had cells under the Magistrate s court Church House on the Market Square was built. In 1972 it was rebuilt Canal built at Wheelock by James Brindley Sandbach Wesleyan Society formed. 19th Century (1800's) Sandbach was a busy coaching point with 'The Royal Sovereign' coach running to London on a daily business, with the 'Rocket' taking its passengers to Liverpool and Birmingham. Another coach 'The Nettle' journeyed daily to Manchester and Nantwich. Stopping off points. THE ROYAL SOVEREIGN THE ROCKET THE NETTLE COACHES GEORGE HOTEL 1834 Timetable 12.30pm (Every Day) The George. The George. The Wheat sheaf yard. To London The ROYAL MAIL from Liverpool 2pm (Tuesday to Sun) To London RED ROVER 10pm (Every Day) To London - ERIN GO BRAGH Various Times Each day To Liverpool from London. WHEAT SHEAF 1834 Timetable 7.30am (Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat) To Manchester ROYAL WILLIAM via Middlewich. 8pm (Mon, Wed, Fri and Sat) To Nantwich ROYAL WILLIAM. TURNPIKE ROADS Sandbach also had some Turnpike roads with Toll Bars on them in the following places ;-
7 Sandbach at the Middlewich Road end of Abbey Road. Wheelock at Crewe Road, opposite the churchyard. The Black and White Toll cottage is still standing. Crewe Green at the junction of the Crewe and Sydney roads. Holmes Chapel at London Rd, about 100 yards on the Brereton side. At the Cross-roads at Saltersford on the far side of the River Dane Bridge. Betchton beyond the New Inn on the Newcastle Road and at the Junction of Chells Hill Road. SANDBACH TOLL ROADS INFORMATION Nantwich to Wheelock Wharf ( Act of Parliament = 56 Geo3 c15 Date from 11 Apr 1816 to 1875 Length in Miles = 9 Main Gates = 3 Side gates and Bars 1848 = Unknown Income from Tolls = 291 Total debt 1838 = 140 Average income per gate = 97 Modern Road Names A49 to A5020 Sandbach To Congleton ( Act of Parliament = 5/6 will4c37 Date from 1835 Length in Miles = 8 Main Gates 1840 = 3 Side gates and Bars 1848 = 2 Income from Tolls = Unknown Total debt 1838 = 3250 Average income per gate = Unknown Modern Road Names A534 (Congleton Road) Runcorn and Northwich ( Act of Parliament = 59 Geo3 c85 Date from 1819 Length in Miles = 9 Main Gates 1840 = 3 Side gates and Bars 1848 = Unknown Income from Tolls = 78 Total debt 1838 = 3800 Average income per gate = 26 Modern Road Names A533 (Middlewich Road) Span Smithy, Linley Lane (Elton, Sandbach) Through Church Lawton to Talk. ( Act of Parliament = 28 Geo3 c104 Date from 1788 Length in Miles = 8 Main Gates 1840 = 3 Side gates and Bars 1848 = 2 Income from Tolls = Unknown Total debt 1838 = 2520 Average income per gate = Unknown Modern Road Names (Main Route) A533 Middlewich Road (Via A5011 and A5 Arclid, Church Lawton to Stoke) Span Smithy, Booth Lane (Elton, Sandbach) and Winsford through Middlewich and Stanthorn. ( Act of Parliament = 26 Geo2 c84
8 Date from 1753 Length in Miles = 12 Main Gates 1840 = 3 Side gates and Bars 1848 = 4 Income from Tolls = 876 Total debt 1838 = 400 Average income per gate = 292 Modern Road Names (Main Route) A533 Middlewich Road (Via A5018) TURNPIKE ROAD HISTORY Established in England and Wales from about 1706 they were used to pay to maintain roads rather like the toll roads of today. Each Road was set up by an individual Act of Parliament and by the 1830 s there was about 1,000 trusts and over 30,000 miles of road with 8,000 toll gates. Between 1873 and 1878 most of the trusts were wound up by General Acts of Parliament. c1809 The Wheelock Mill was constructed starting the Textile Industry in Sandbach Sandbach Congregational Sunday School opened. In 1909 on the anniversary of the school they held a service on the 12 and 15 September in celebration The first Town Hall was built in Sandbach. In 1882 Thomas Hughes (.b. 20 Oct 1822.D. 22 Mar The writer of Tom Brown s Schooldays) was appointed to a County Court Judgeship in the Chester District in July of that year an appointement that included Sandbach and worked out of the Town Hall Saxon Crosses collected from all over the area to be rebuilt in the Market Square The Market Square and the yard of the Malt-Kiln in Bradwall Road were cobbled. 30 May 1825 On the 30 May 1825 the first stone was bought for a new Bridge in Sandbach (Later named Brook Bridge). It had been bought by Charles Whittingham and was laid by William Smith the Builder on June On the 3 November 1825 the Last Stone of the arch was laid by William Smith and William Dickinson in the presence of Mr William Cross Snr at 10am. On the 13 December 1826 (or 1825) the Cinter or Centre stone of the Battlement was laid by Francis Johnson Ford Esq. one of the Majestrates of the Hundred of Northwich, Cheshire. Under a Copper Plate Mr Ford deposited one Half Crown, One Shilling, one Sixpence and one Silver Sheffield Jobu with a value of sixpence. Also deposited was one Copper Penny and one Half-Penny. (See Ford) 1835 Nationally, Local Government came into being with the introduction of the British Municipal Corporations Act. This act led to the formation of the SANDBACH URBAN SANITARY DISTRICT which operated between 1875 and An Independent (Congregational) Chapel was built in Hope Street in In 1860 a Sunday School and burial ground were added to the site. In 1893 an extension was added to house a new Schoolroom (Later used as the Little Theatre by the Sandbach Players) Christ Church Wheelock opened. 5 Sept 1837 The Hope Street Chapel was opened and dedicated by Preacher Reverend J Hill of Oxford and the Reverend Samuel Luke of Chester. Sandbach in 1837 SANDBACH AT THIS TIME from a leaflet by E Wakefield. No railway station in the town (see 4 May 1842) although a line had been opened into Crewe in September 1937 which was then just a few houses and more a village than a town. The Literary Institute had not even been thought of and where the fountain now stands outside this was a large garden. There were no street lighting apart from the odd oil lamp and no pavements in the town. The Roads were cobbled like the Market Square is today with the Town Hall in the Market Square (Where the War Memorial now Stands) which had
9 the Crosses opposite which had only just been restored to the town. The George was the principal inn of the town and was the straight stopping place for the London to Liverpool Stage Coach which came to the town three times a week. High Street was only a narrow lane while Church Street and Hawk Street were the main streets in the town. At the rear of the newly built Hope Street Chapel were Dickenson s Gardens a Show place for Sandbach Sandbach Celebrated the Coronation of Queen Victoria at Westminster Abbey on the 28 June 1838 with an event on the Market Square The Manchester to Crewe railway opened. (see railway) The South Porch of St Mary's was destroyed. 4 May 1842 SANDBACH STATION The first train to run on this line was on the 4th May 1842 from Manchester to Sandbach while the first train to Crewe didn't run until the 10th August 1842 with six trains running a regular service. The Rev. John Armitstead wrote in 1860 that there were seven trains each way daily calling at the Sandbach and Holmes Chapel stations Commons or Newfield Silk Mill built for John Woolley Two "Poor Houses" on The Hill replaced by Workhouse in Arclid. (See Almshouses) 1846 On the 1 st September 1846 the Rev. W Sylvester from the Hope Street Chapel died (Aged 69). On the day of his funeral the whole town turned out with all the shops shutting in respect for the well-loved Preacher. A tombstone was paid for by public subscription and laid on his grave in the Hope Street Chapel graveyard (Now the Car Park to the side) Sir George Gilbert Scott (.b. 13 July 1811.D. 27 Mar 1878) reconstructed St Mary's Church. (Built the Albert Memorial in London) 1850 The gate house at Sandbach School was built by Sir George Gilbert Scott Silk factory built on "The Hill" along with Mill Row (Chimney Row) houses for the workers In 1850 there were Twelve establishments recorded as Hotels, Inns, Taverns, or Beer Houses SANDBACH SCHOOL NEW BUILDING The school moved onto its present site in 1851 when a building designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott was finished. (see 1677) 1853 The 1st Public baths were opened in Sandbach on Newcastle Road The Savings Bank was opened next to the Literary Institution (Now the Lloyds Bank). It was built by Mr Thomas Stringer and designed by Jas Harrison The Literary Institution was built by Sir George Gilbert Scott Miss Sarah Sibson died leaving enough money to build St John's Church Sandbach Heath A New Counry Police Station was erected in Bold Street at a cost of 800 with an edifice of Brick and Stone. It has offices, cells and a residence for the chief officer. In 1914 William Lawson was the Sergeant in charge with 6 men Providence School built in Chapel Street. (Now the Scout Hall). 1860's Sandbach had 713 Houses and a population of Its business was as shoe makers for the Manchester and Liverpool Markets and Silkthrowsting activities. Its buildings included, a Head Post Office, Railway station, Corn exchange, Banking office, 3 Chief Inns, a Market place, A Town Hall, a County Police Station, a Savings Bank (in the Tudor Style), Public Baths, a Fire engine station, a Church, 4
10 dissenting Chapels, a Grammar School, large national schools. It also had a weekly market on a Thursday, an Easter Fair (Easter Tuesday) and Fairs on the Tuesday after 12 September and on the 28th December. Also in the market square are the Ancient Crosses Brook Mill Opened. 12 June 1861 St John s Church in Sandbach Heath was consecrated Sandbach Industrial Co-operative Society (Limited) formed. The Sandbach Industrial and Co-operative Society Ltd No 2 Branch was at 462 Crewe Road Wheelock now the Magus Electronics building Almshouses were built in Sandbach on Newcastle Road. They were designed by Sir George Gilbert Scott at a cost of 2, Wheelock Railway Station was opened (see 1930) The auctioneers Hilditch and Sons opened. In 2004 it is being run by Andrew Hilditch at a different location Salt works opened in Wheelock George Hancock retired from the business, officially but still acted as a consultant when the company became (Edwin Foden) FODEN AND HANCOCK Wesleyan Society open a Sunday school building on Church Street behind what is now the Wesleyan Chapel (See 1872) 1872 Wesleyan Chapel opened in Wesley Avenue. (See 1871) 24 Feb 1873 PC James Green (.b D. 24 Feb 1873) was murdered while on duty and his body was dumped in the Trent and Mersey Canal near Elworth. He was the first Cheshire officer to be killed on duty and is now buried at St Peter s Church along with his wife Ann. A bridge in Moston is known as Stabbers Bridge after the event. Born in Handbridge, Chester James Green had been a member of the Cheshire Force for six years and was stationed at Bradwall near Sandbach. It was while he was on plain clothes duty observing a James Buckley a farm worker, known larcenist and petty pilferer of Moss Green near Elworth that PC Green was attacked and dumped in the canal at Moss Bridge (Oakwood Lane / Moss Lane). Buckley was arrested by Superintendent Rowbottom who found him working on his farm with a bruised forehead, face, a lacerated nose and two black eyes which the criminal put down to a branch falling on him while he was pruning the tree. At his trial evidence of tools including a garden fork were presented with blood stains on them which specialists were unable to say had human blood on them and Buckley said they were in fact pig s blood. After a 10 minute deliberation the jury acquitted Buckley of the murder a clear case of injustice when a guilty man is set free due to a lack of evidence Gas Works built near Brook Street Silk Mill Williams delicatessen was opened for the first time. In 2004 it was being run as Godfrey Williams and Son (David) and now is run by Godfrey s grandson Daniel The area round the St Mary's church closed for extension work on the cemetery to take place The Town Water Fountain was moved due to the extension of the churchyard The company Foden and Hancock changed to EDWIN FODEN AND SON Sandbach Industrial Co-operative Society (Limited) built a factory and shops in Bold Street Andrew Martin (Timber Merchant and Saw Mill) Established in 1877 at Wheelock Nr Sandbach. They continued until after Manchester District Bank built next to the Wheat sheaf Hotel. Established in Manchester in 1829 the bank had branches in Sandbach, Holmes Chapel and Elworth as part of 400 branches by to 1886 George William Latham (Liberal) (Crewe CONSTITUENCY) became the first MP for the area representing Sandbach. SANDBACH URBAN SANITARY DISTRICT Sandbach Cricket Club was Formed. 4 Oct 1886 Living at Bradwall Hall was Mr George W. Latham M.P. who died on the 4 October Known throuout Cheshire he was the founder of the Bradwall Reformatory (Institute for Reforming Juvenile Offenders).